Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kindergarten Registration

Yesterday I signed papers releasing my child into the outside world. Agreeing to put her care into the hands of strangers.  Leaving her to learn and grow in an institution they call kindergarten.

For months and months I've literally dreaded this day with every fiber of my being! This is for me the first big step of letting go! Aside from a few days of Mother's Day Out when she was 3, Selina has been with me 24/7 for 5 straight years.
Really, having kids is so weird. One day you're doing your own thing, minding your own business and the next thing you know your world revolves your mini-you. And then suddenly they leave!! Albeit, it is just kindergarten, but kindergarten is so different then I remember it. I don't know what it's like in Canada nowadays, but here it's every day, all day long. I'm pretty sure when I went to kindergarten there was an AM class and a PM class, so you only went for part of the day. But for Selina, it's like she's taking on a full time job. Her class starts at 7:40 AM... WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?????

Up to moments before walking into her school to register her I was so utterly sad. I knew in the back of my mind she is so ready for kindergarten and she will love it and I will love that she loves kindergarten, but I am going to miss her badly.  All I had to do was think about printing her name on the registration form and I'd burst into tears!

I couldn't do it.

I told Ryan he had to it.

He declined.

Bummer.

So there we were, walking down the halls of her school. I was waiting for the moment of despair to hit me, but instead I felt ecstatic! So this is the feeling my friend Kim B had described to me! In an instant I went from mopy mommy to LET'S DO THIS THING! mommy. I took Selina's hand and we stopped at some empty classrooms to look around, I showed her a poster on the wall that said "Book Fair" and explained to her what that is, we met the principal and some teachers and I was beaming with excitement! I hoped it would all rub off on Selina as she nervously followed me around.
After all the paper work was filled out we headed out of the school and I took a picture of her in front of the school sign. I am a super proud mama :)

As with most exciting moments in our children's lives, we went and celebrated with Chic-fil-A --- second time this week after the bell-in-nose incident.

Later that evening we went for dinner at a fantastic Japanese restaurant. Selina and Keira shared shrimp and vegetable tempura. Selina ate her entire meal with chop sticks and learned to write some Japanese characters that her daddy showed her. I was impressed she ate with chop sticks because I can not, and I was also impressed that she ate the shrimp...more specifically, she's not afraid to hold it's tail. I am afraid of the shrimp tail. Selina assured me that it is not a real tail because it is cooked. I assured her it makes no difference to me, I will not touch it. But I'm glad she does :)

And that concludes the kindergarten registration day!

No comments: